南京夜网,南京桑拿,江苏夜网论坛 Powered by MJQJYJ

Christmas tragedy sparks warning

11/06/2018 / by admin

The Electricity Association of NSW (EANSW) has joined local energy provider Integral Energy in reminding Highlands home owners about the importance of safe installation of Christmas lights both inside and outside the home.
Nanjing Night Net

Integral Energy safety assurance officer for the Southern Highlands, Wayne Eccles, said residents should only buy light sets approved under Australian safety standards.

“Low wattage light sets are preferable, because they don’t produce as mush heat and the risk of causing fires on flammable trees is reduced,” Mr Eccles said.

“It is important for people not to become complacent about all aspects of Christmas light safety because, obviously, someone could be electrocuted or your house could be burnt down.”

The safety reminder follows an incident last year in which Christmas turned to tragedy for one young NSW family who lost their home following a fire caused by faulty Christmas tree lights.

“The lighting of the Christmas tree is a much-loved family tradition which can unfortunately turn to tragedy if the appropriate precautions are not taken,” said EANSW spokesman Michael Sinclair.

“We want to remind home owners that electrical safety should be their number one priority when designing and setting up their Christmas lighting this year.”

When decorating the outside of your home, the EANSW recommends only lights designed for external use be used, and all lights and cords be kept well clear of overhead power lines and the point of electrical attachment to the home.

Inside Christmas trees should be positioned away from flammable materials such as curtains and foam lined sofas, and extension cords should be kept well clear of high traffic areas. Power points and adaptors should not be overcrowded and should be blocked off from reach by small children.

A further precaution is the installation of safety switches at the main metre board.

This switch will ensure the immediate disconnection of power in the vent of an electrical fault.

When purchasing Christmas lights, the EANSW advises low voltage sets be selected which comply with appropriate safety standards.

All globes should be checked prior to purchase to make sure they are properly fitted and are not missing from their sockets.

It is also important to check that pre-used sets have not deteriorated and are discarded immediately if they show signs of wear and tear or have cracked or broken leads.

“Taking a few simple electrical safety precautions before switching on your lights this year will help keep your family safe and free to enjoy a wonderful Christmas,” Mr Sinclair said.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.